Sunday, January 24, 2016

Xmas flowers

I'm a bit late with this story, but here goes!
I never really buy cut flowers, we're on a tight budget and if I splurge I buy a magazine, or art supplies or cake!! On christmas eve I was dashing around my local supermarket like everyone else, buying all that food for christmas day. As I came through the checkout one of the staff I see every week stopped me. "Hang on a second", he disappeared then came back with two flower arrangements...I was thrilled. A few of the flowers were starting to brown, I guess that by boxing day they'd be too far gone to sell, so better to give them away.





They looked lovely on my christmas dinner table, and I did a couple of tiny sketchbook drawings of them which turned into this linocut. It's much finer and more detailed than my usual, and I'm really pleased with how it turned out.



At the same time as I printed the xmas flowers lino, I printed one that I'd chiseled in December, of an elegant lady walking her dog down by the beach. Most people I see walking there are in serious sports gear, or casual shorts and runners, she wore a floaty dress and bare feet, tall and elegant, her dog was elegant too, maybe a greyhound? It's funny the things that stick in your head and appear later in an artwork.



I hope you've had a good weekend :)


1 comment:

  1. Hi Kate. Nice to be surprised with flowers and then to be inspired by them.
    I hope all is well in your hemisphere. I am getting very excited for spring and some sunny days.

    ReplyDelete