Sunday, February 17, 2013

At book group

I belong to a book group at my local library, I've been going for over a year now and have read some great books - some that I probably wouldn't have got through but I'm so glad I did, Room by Emma Donohue, The Road by Cormac McCarthy (much darker subject matter than I'd usually choose). Some that were entirely my cup of tea - All That I Am by Anna Funder, When god was a rabbit by Sarah Winman - I was shocked when I went to book group after reading that one, I absolutely loved it, and nobody else rated it at all, they thought it was odd, boring 'nothing happened' seemed to be the general opinion.

This month we read A Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling, a 500 page whopper. I gave it a good attemp and got as far as page 200 before I decided to stop. The book is very realistic, very gloomy and for me, depressing without any ray of hope it seems.When I got to book group the general consensus was that it's excellent, it got three 10 out of 10's two 9's and an 8, only one other person was like me and couldn't stomach the book.

I'd been thinking that I might come back to the book another time when I'm feeling 'tougher', but as the discussion went on and parts of the plot were revealed I know it's too sad and upsetting for me. It's odd I feel like I've failed a good book.

I'd love to hear if you're in a book group and how you're enjoying it, and what were your favourite books???

The photo is of new growth on my mango tree, this tree seems to be on a possum highway and the new leaves are often nibbled, but this time they seem to have survived. Also a photo of some new little linoprints for cards in progress!


No comments:

Post a Comment