Saturday, March 4, 2017

Lifebook weeks 7 and 9 - pat pats and flowers

Week 7 of lifebook was a little bonus lesson called Pat pats taught by Donna Mulholland. You had to think of things you'd like to pat yourself on the back for from the past week (not that easy!) And incorporate those into a page with collaged paper. Making the sheet for collage was lovely, just playing freely with watercolour and acrylics, masking out areas, it was amazing how good it looked once cut up - and will be a good technique to use to make papers for cards.



I skipped week 8, partly because it didn't grab me and partly because I had a busy week - I did a week and a half of work at one of my old jobs filling in for a friend who was on leave!

For week 9 there are two bonus lessons - I've only done one so far - flowers of gratitude with Tamara Laporte. This was based on some of Tam's sketchbook pages, working with a limited range of materials eg that you might take on holiday
.


I worked with a handful of markers - scribbling onto a plastic palette and then picking up the colour with a wet brush and painting it onto the paper. I did use some watercolour at the end for the strong colour of the hair and parts of the background. It was interesting to see what could be done with basic materials like kids quality markers.

Often I will make the excuse that I don't have time to get all my paints out... it was lovely to get a peep into another artists journals and to be reminded that you don't need a whole studio of gear to make an artwork.

2 comments:

  1. This just reminds me of how far behind I am! No to worry though! I love your colour play - if nothing else, I must do that lesson. Your girlies look very contemplating and serene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zsuzsa, it's annoying when real life gets in the way of arting! I hope you get back in the studio soon.

      Delete